According to the Census Bureau (2019), 9.8% of the population moves each year in the U.S. That is nearly 31 million people! As you move into your new home, it is a perfect time to consider home security protocols. From simple things like changing locks to adding new smart technology systems, home security should be a priority along with unpacking those boxes. Homes without a security system have a 300% increase in chance of being robbed (Alarms.org, 2019). Don’t be a statistic! Use these top 10 home security checks to make sure your new home is All Secure. Then contact us for a complimentary home security audit.
1. Change all locks and install Smart locks that include pick resistances, anti-lockout technology through wi-fi and remote or keyless entry for your dog walker.
2. Choose a home security system to monitor your home while you are away. Easily integrated with smart locks.
3. Install safety latches on cupboards and drawers to keep chemicals and other harmful substances away from children and pets.
4. Install door and window sensors to detect unexpected openings. Also great for gun safes and liquor cabinets!
5. Include motion sensors both inside and outside of the home. Inside, lighting hallways and other areas of the home with nightlight motion sensors can save energy. Outside, adding motion detectors can alert you of visitors and light the way to your home on those dark nights.
6. Get a fire-proof safe to store important documents.
7. Integrate security lighting with other smart devices through the use of smart light bulbs that can be programmed to turn on and off at specific times.
8. Inspect gates and replace worn latches. A good security gate has a latch on the bottom and top.
9. Consider small entrance security, like pet doors, when mapping out your home security technology.
10. Add a smart garage door opener that can be managed through an app on your cell phone. Never wonder if you closed the garage door again!